Guest writer: Wonder

>> Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Our WONDERful grands, yesteryear





"Remember the wonders He has performed, His miracles..." 
(1 Chronicles 16:12)



Never lose your wonder of God, beloved!



Guest writer: Rebecca Glassco Figert

Did you know that kindergarten, a German word, means “children’s garden”?
You see, I volunteer to help with lunch at my kids’ school on Fridays. I’ve only done it twice this year, but it’s reminded me how much I love kindergarteners! They have pure wonder. If I could, I would bottle up their wonder in a flask and study its components. A five-year old’s wonder is simply mesmerizing, beautiful, and mystifying.
And yes, this next statement is depressing, but it’s true. By the end of this year, the kindergarteners’ wonder and zeal will have changed and they will have more structure and parameters, a compartment per se, for the wonder that was once so boundless. Their awe will be a tiny bit watered down and less concentrated. And yet, that’s the process of growing up.

Granted, we need to grow into adults who know the difference between fiction and fact, fears and reality. It’s healthy. It’s natural. However, I do mourn the gradual loss of wonder. Little by little, I’ve seen my own kids grow up.  And it’s different. It’s good. But a little sad.
How do we grow children in the garden of life without tainting their natural wonder? Maybe the answer to that question has more to do with us, the parent. If we can recover our own child-like wonder, there’s hope for our children.



0 comments:

Blog Archive

    © Wonderful Storybooks. Friends Forever Template by Emporium Digital 2009

Back to TOP