Sagged and Bagged and Crook'd and Crinkled

>> Thursday, April 5, 2018

My Phillip, my grandmother, and me
1977



"Even in your old age and gray hairs I am He, I am He who will sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you." (Isaiah 46:4)


Years and years ago, my little cousin watched our grandmother rub cream on her face and pat her cheeks and cover her neck and pat under her chin. In fascination, Vicki asked, "What are you doing, Grandmaw?"

"I'm getting my wrinkles out," Grandmother explained.

"Grandmaw," said Vicki, "there a-comin' back."

Now, I look in the mirror and see Naomi from Phil A. Smouse' beloved children's book, I Love Ruthie. Naomi whined...

"Just look at me! I'm old and wrinkled,
sagged and bagged and crook'd and crinkled,
crumpled, puckered, nooked and crannied,
Rip-Van-Winkled, grayed and grannied!"

Today, beloved, let's turn our eyes from the mirror and onto Jesus.

O soul are you weary and troubled?
No light in the darkness you see?
There's light for a look at the Savior
And life more abundant and free.

Turn your eyes upon Jesus
Look full in His wonderful face
And things of earth will grow strangely dim
In the light of His glory and grace.1


1 TURN YOUR EYES UPON JESUS. Helen H. Lemmel, 1922.

0 comments:

Blog Archive

    © Wonderful Storybooks. Friends Forever Template by Emporium Digital 2009

Back to TOP