A Grandson's Tribute

>> Saturday, November 10, 2012



       Mother with 3 of her 8 grandchildren (Virginia, Ben, and Rebecca) on Christmas Eve 1985


            My beloved mother's last hours on this ol' earth were just like she would have planned them had she been awake - her children and grandchildren gathered around her telling "remember whens" and laughing together. My brother took the first night watch so I could rest. Sometime after midnight, our eldest son, Ben, spent that vigil holding his grandmother's hand and praying for her. Then, Ben slipped back to his bedroom and wrote:

~ Benjamin P. Glassco,  June 20, 2003 ~

      Death: a subject that most of us do not like to talk about.  In fact, some of us may never give it any thought. One may not think about death until a friend or family member passes away. It is then that we stop and realize how short is the time we spend here on earth. We just go about our daily lives, and we miss out on the reason why we were put here on earth to live in the first place.

         Early Friday morning, around 1:00 a.m., I was having trouble sleeping, so I decided to go upstairs to be with my grandmother. I felt that the Lord had kept me up for a reason, and it was to go pray that my grandmother would remain comfortable in these last few hours and that He’d come take her home swiftly and pain free. It was while I was standing beside my grandmother’s bed that I began to think about life and death. I realized that my grandmother’s life is an awesome example of how we’re supposed to spend our time here on earth.
         Grandmama was a very loving and caring woman. She was faithful and supportive all 50 years of her marriage to Winfred Watson. My mother will always tell stories about when my grandmother was battling breast cancer, and how Grandmama would always talk about how she was going to out live Pawpaw and she did. She was also a wonderful mother that raised three children into fine adults, who then followed her example and raised wonderful families of their own. Grandmama started a chain reaction that I one day hope to continue. But the main reason Grandmama is a great example to us is because she lived her life glorifying God; which the Bible says is the reason why we were created. That's found in Isaiah 43:7.
         Our fun memories and time spent with Grandmama will always be missed, but now she is in a place where there is no suffering or pain. I’m sure right now she is worshiping the Lord with Pawpaw; and for those who know Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior, we will soon be with her. Because our time here on earth is only a speck on the timeline of eternity, and with no track of time in heaven, I’ll be worshiping right along beside Grandmama before she realizes any time has past at all.

"If I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and
receive you to Myself, that where I am, there you may be also."
John 14:3

  

0 comments:

Blog Archive

    © Wonderful Storybooks. Friends Forever Template by Emporium Digital 2009

Back to TOP