Dancing in the Empty Nest

>> Thursday, November 8, 2012


To say that the spring of 2004 was BUSY is quite the understatement! Homeschooling our youngest son his senior year of high school, planning our first born and only daughter's wedding, cheering for the middle child on the football field who had recently transferred from a local community college to a small Presbyterian school in Tennessee, as well as, trying not to neglect my sweet husband occupied every waking moment of my days.
The wedding was blessed, spring practice ended, and the high school diploma was in hand; then the winds of change began to blow. The high school graduate left for Parris Island with the US Marine Corp, two days later, the newlyweds moved to Indiana, and a few weeks after that, the college student returned to football and classes in Tennessee.
Our little nest that had been so joyfully full was suddenly empty and very, very quiet. A well-meaning friend gave me Beth Moore's Feathers from My Nest. I couldn't even read the title without crying! That summer, I was sad, my husband was mad but God - my God was glad!
One silent morning as I stared at the black leather cover of my Bible, I asked aloud, "Now what, Lord?" Out of the stillness came His gentle voice, "I have a plan for you…to give you a future and a hope (Jer. 29:11)…write what I tell you to write and teach the women and children I send you."
That fall and in the years since, came "The Father's Wisdom for His Beloved Daughters", "The Prodigal's Mother", "When You Hear the Sound of Marching in the Tops of the Balsam Trees", "Sheep in Wolves Clothing", and other Bible studies that have been shared with moms, teenagers, grandmothers, college co-eds, prisoners, singles, children, and women from all walks of life.
Life comes in seasons. Within each season are joys and sorrows. Our faithful God has a good plan for every season! Embrace Him and embrace His plan!
(By the way, God, hubby, and I are dancing in the empty nest!!!)

"For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother, and be joined to his wife;
                        and they shall become one flesh."  (Genesis 2:24)

                 (By Jill Glassco, author of The Schoolhouse: available online at Amazon.com)



                                                               

0 comments:

Blog Archive

    © Wonderful Storybooks. Friends Forever Template by Emporium Digital 2009

Back to TOP