Passing the Servanthood Baton

>> Wednesday, January 21, 2015

"Selfie" of my Rebecca and me,
Legoland, Chicago, 2014






After the death of Moses the Lord's servant, the Lord spoke to Joshua son of Nun, who had served Moses. "Moses My servant is dead. Now you...." (Joshua 1:1-2a HCSB)


           

            Recently, I've been meditating on and memorizing Joshua 1:1-9. (Don't be impressed. I read the Bible daily; but to my shame, I rarely make the effort to memorize passages of Scripture.) In these verses, God tells Joshua three times to be strong and courageous; but today, I realized I've been missing perhaps the most important message in the passage. Moses the Lord's servant was dead, and Joshua, who had served Moses, became the next servant of the Lord - the baton of servanthood passed on so that God's work continued.

            I've had the privilege of teaching the Bible for years and years and more years than maybe you've been alive. Ha! When my children were little, I taught it to kids. When they were teens I taught teenagers. And these days, I teach to whoever will listen; while in another state, praise the Lord, my Rebecca and her hubby, Stephen, teach the Bible to literally hundreds of children each week. 

            Jesus said to go and make disciples (Matt. 28:19). In other words, serve the Lord and continually pass batons of servanthood on to others - multiplying disciples of Christ.

Two questions for us this morning, beloved:
1.  What are our God-assigned places of service?
2.  Who are we passing service batons to?




0 comments:

Blog Archive

    © Wonderful Storybooks. Friends Forever Template by Emporium Digital 2009

Back to TOP