A Pearl of Great Value

>> Friday, May 8, 2020





"Now these three remain: faith, hope, and love. But the greatest of these is love." (1 Corinthians 13:13)



Last evening while strolling through the neighborhood, we discovered a pretty little jewel growing in a crack of the asphalt.

This morning, I found a pearl of great value living in the Holy Scriptures. As I dug through Paul's spiritual-gifts teachings in 1 Corinthians 12, the treasure I was searching for sat in clear view right next door in chapter 13...

"If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have the faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give all I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing." (1 Corinthians 13:1-3)

As recorded in the book of Acts, Paul had stayed in Corinth for about a year helping the Corinthians birth their church and grow in their faith in Jesus Christ. Later, when he learned that the Corinthian church was plagued with multiple problems, Paul wrote his friends two letters. The first letter (1 Corinthians) pointed out five primary problems and applied the gospel to the troublesome situations. 

In chapters 11-14 of his letter, Paul addressed the issues that were disturbing their Sunday gatherings. He offered insight on the purpose of spiritual gifts and which ones are appropriate for building up the body of Christ. 

God through Paul taught that the primary watchword is LOVE. In a community of Jesus, individuals should not pursue what elevates self in a service but rather what benefits and serves others well. Each person should strive to build a community of love that is patient and kind, does not envy or boast, is not proud, does not dishonor others, is not self-seeking or easily angered, a love that keeps no records of wrongs, a love that always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

So, what have I learned over the past two days? I was asking the wrong question! 

The question is not whether sign gifts ceased or not (theologians way smarter than me have debated this point for centuries). The valuable question is: Jill, are you loving My people well?


0 comments:

Blog Archive

    © Wonderful Storybooks. Friends Forever Template by Emporium Digital 2009

Back to TOP