Whoever's Nearby

>> Friday, September 19, 2014

My neighbor, Steve, and me, 1967
(Sitting on daddy's 1960 Willis Jeep)

"Do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind regard one another as more important than yourselves; do not merely look out for your own interests, but also for the interests of others. Have this attitude in yourselves which was also in Christ Jesus." (Phil. 2:3-5)


            In my downtown women's Bible study, one of the precious ladies brings her 26-year-old son. Richard is autistic and mentally challenged, but nevertheless, he's fearfully and wonderfully made by God. 
            At the conclusion of each study, I traditionally go from person to person, put my hands on their shoulders, and pray for them. The first time I met Richard, I asked him if I could pray for him.
            Richard said, "Perfect."
            While praying, I got a little long-winded; and in the middle of the prayer, Richard said, "Next!" - politely encouraging me to move on to the next person. Ha! Good advice, Richard!
             This week, we studied Matthew 22:39 where Jesus declared that the second greatest commandment is:

 "You shall love your neighbor as yourself." 

             I asked the ladies and our one gentleman, "Who is your neighbor?", and Mother Evelyn (as the others affectionately call her) wisely answered, "Whoever's nearby."

                 On Wednesday afternoons, Richard is my neighbor. On Monday mornings, Deborah is my neighbor. Who's your "neighbor" today? Are you loving them as yourself?"

1 comments:

Unknown September 19, 2014 at 8:42 PM  

This was great! Thank you so much!

Blog Archive

    © Wonderful Storybooks. Friends Forever Template by Emporium Digital 2009

Back to TOP