Did the devil make guns

>> Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Mr. Greenleaf and I with precious children
N. Avondale Library




"Don't be afraid, for I am with you. Don't be discouraged, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will hold you up with My victorious right hand." (Isa. 41:10 NLT)



As promised, the rest of the story....


Yesterday, Mr. Greenleaf and I read chapter one, Mr. Greenleaf's Not-So-Typical Day, from our book Mr. Greenleaf's Unforgettable Summer to children at the N. Avondale Library. In the story, a bullfrog, the largest frog in North America with the severe reputation of eating any small animal it can stuff down its throat, invades the small goldfish pond where Mr. Greenleaf lives; and the poor tree frog grows terrified beyond horrified.

I asked the children if they ever feel afraid. They all nodded fervently. One little one then asked a piercing question, "Did the devil make guns?"

Oh, dear Jesus, I thought, these precious, little children should be thinking about no school and swimming pools, fireflies and blue summer skies, but instead, they're distressed over guns! What a mess our country is in.

Because these kids were Christian day campers, I could say, "When you feel afraid, pray, 'Help me, Lord Jesus!'" (Jesus is unwelcome in some places I visit). We quoted Isaiah 41:10 together, prayed together, and together sang,


The Lord is good to me
And so I thank the Lord
 For giving me 
The things I need
The sun and the rain and the appleseed
The Lord is good to me.
Amen!


As the old prophet pleaded in Daniel chapter 9:

O Lord, You are a great and awesome God...But we have sinned and done wrong. We have rebelled against You and scorned Your commands and regulations...our faces are covered with shame...we have sinned against You...So now the solemn curses and judgments...have been poured down on us because of our sin...O our God, hear Your servants' prayers! Listen as [we] plead. For Your sake, Lord, smile again on [us]...Open Your eyes and see our despair. See how [our country]...lies in [spiritual and moral] ruins. We make this plea, not because we deserve help, but because of Your great mercy. O Lord, hear. O Lord, forgive, O Lord, listen and act! For Your own sake, do not delay, O God, for Your people...bear Your name.

0 comments:

Blog Archive

    © Wonderful Storybooks. Friends Forever Template by Emporium Digital 2009

Back to TOP