Great Love

>> Monday, June 1, 2015

Wedding day, 1977
Jesus, my superman, and me






"God showed His great love for us by sending Christ to die for us while we were still sinners." (Romans 5:8)


In the early 90s, a deep-rooted sin of prejudice infested an Arkansas congregation we belonged to. When our family made friends with kids from the neighborhood and a nearby homeless shelter, we brought them with us to church. 

One Wednesday night, a few older women were unkind to those precious children. I was furious as I sprinted my car to retrieve materials needed for a class that I was teaching. It was raining, I slipped, and I found myself sitting in the middle of a puddle - drenched to the bone.

In the mud, the rain, and my humiliation, the LORD spoke to me, "Jill, I did NOT bring you to this church to be mad at those women. I brought you here to love the little children and to love those old ladies."

I'll never forget that "mud spanking" nor our loving heavenly Father's lesson: great love always precede great change.

0 comments:

Blog Archive

    © Wonderful Storybooks. Friends Forever Template by Emporium Digital 2009

Back to TOP