Rocking Chairs

>> Thursday, October 18, 2012


This morning, I sat in my little rocker by the bedroom window – the place where God and I often visit –admiring God’s autumn artistry. Splashes of crimson and gold have painted over the green canvas of summer, and clay pots of marigolds and mums now stand in the place of impatiens and petunias.
In Luke 10:38-42, while Martha scurried around the kitchen, her sister Mary sat at the Lord’s feet, listening to His word. Jesus confirmed that Mary had chosen the good part.
In 1916, my grandmother sat in her little rocker early one summer morning:
“I had learned to turn to the Word of God for encouragement when life got hard, and for instruction when I didn’t know what to do. Before dressing, I picked up my small, leather Bible on the nightstand and sat down in a rocker by the window. A breeze through the open window cast a loose strand of my light brown hair across my face. Brushing it aside, I opened my Bible.” 1
Don’t miss the good part of every day, my friend; sit in God’s presence and listen! “Call to Me and I will answer you, and I will tell you great and mighty things, which you do not know.” (Jeremiah 33:3 NASB)

1   Jill Watson Glassco. The Schoolhouse (Peoria, AR: LifeHouse Publishing, 2012), 7.
                        (The Schoolhouse is available online at Amazon.com)

0 comments:

Blog Archive

    © Wonderful Storybooks. Friends Forever Template by Emporium Digital 2009

Back to TOP