Down in the river to pray

>> Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Baptism
by the late, great, African-American artist Ray Batchelor



"By day the LORD commands His steadfast love, and at night His song is with me, a prayer to the God of my life." (Psalm 42:8 ESV)



For our anniversary in 1995, superman told me to choose a painting from LifeWay; but at the store, I couldn't decide which one. "Lord," I prayed, "they're all so lovely. What should I choose?"

No sooner had I voiced my confusion than an older, beautiful African-American lady walked up beside me. "Which one would you choose?" I asked. 

Bernice Moore pointed to "Baptism" by Ray Batchelor and said, "That one. Look at heaven's light coming through the trees and that baby's face! This picture looks just like the Cahaba River where I was baptized as a child."

Beloved, are you confused? Pray to Jesus, the one true God who answers!



As I went down to the river to pray
Studying about that good ol' way
And who shall wear the robe and crown?
Good Lord show me the way!

O sinners, let's go down
Let's go down, come on down
O sinners, let's go down
Down in the river to pray1


1 DOWN IN THE RIVER TO PRAY. Christian folk hymn. Origin unknown, but believed to have been composed by an African-American slave.








0 comments:

Blog Archive

    © Wonderful Storybooks. Friends Forever Template by Emporium Digital 2009

Back to TOP