The Perfect Form Tackle

>> Monday, March 27, 2017

L-R niece Debbie, my Phillip, and me
1973




"So we're not giving up. How could we! Even though on the outside it often looks like things are falling apart on us, on the inside, where God is making new life, not a day goes by without His unfolding grace. These hard times are small potatoes compared to the coming good times..." (2 Cor. 4:16-17 The Message)



As mindless teenagers, we got the hairbrained idea that I could waterski on Phillip's shoulders. My strategy: to wing out to the far side of the boat, make a rapid approach, and then jump out of my ski onto his back.

Brilliant plan, right? 

Wrong! 

I sped toward my man like a battleship torpedo, leaped from the slalom, and made the perfect form tackle - sending Phillip head over heels across Weiss Lake. The driver, Phillip's brother-in-law, Clark, was laughing so hard that he had to stop the boat and turn off the motor.

A few years ago, my rickety old back brought my waterskiing to a halt. I really miss that fun sport. However, the simple pleasures of earth are small potatoes in comparison to the enjoyable good times ahead - for those belonging to Jesus Christ. 

For Christians, earth is as bad as it gets. It's uphill from here. For unbelievers, earth is as good as it gets. It's downhill for them.

Which way are you headed, beloved, uphill or down?

Jesus told him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through Me." (John 14:6)

0 comments:

Blog Archive

    © Wonderful Storybooks. Friends Forever Template by Emporium Digital 2009

Back to TOP