In the Garden

>> Wednesday, March 27, 2013

My dear mother-in-law in her garden, late 1980s






Then the Lord God formed man of dust from the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and the man became a living being. The Lord God planted a garden toward the east, in Eden; and there He placed the man whom He had formed. (Gen. 2:7-8)
           


Many of the fond memories I have of my father and mother-in-law took place in their lush vegetable and flower gardens. God undoubtedly crafted their hands with “green thumbs”.
            It’s intriguing to me that man’s journey with God began in a garden; and, in Jesus’ final hours before His crucifixion, He met with Father God in... the garden.

            They came to a place named (the Garden of) Gethsemane; and He said to His disciples, “Sit here until I have prayed.”
 And He took with Him Peter and James and John, and began to be very distressed and troubled. And He said to them, “My soul is deeply grieved to the point of death; remain here and keep watch.”
            And He went a little beyond them, and fell to the ground and began to pray that if it were possible, the hour might pass Him by.
            And He was saying, “Abba! Father! All things are possible for You; remove this cup from Me; yet not what I will, but what You will.” (Mark 14:32-36)
            Though He was God, He did not think of equality with God as something to cling to. Instead, Jesus gave up His divine privileges; He took the humble position of a slave…He humbled Himself in obedience to God and died a criminal’s death on a cross(Phil. 2:6-8). So that those who accept, by faith, His substitutionary death for their sins, will have forgiveness of sin and eternal life. 
           
Come to the Garden of Salvation today through faith in Jesus Christ and fellowship with your Savior!

I come to the garden alone, while the dew is still on the roses;

And the voice I hear, falling on my ear,
The Son of God discloses.
And He walks with me and He talks with me
And He tells me I am His own,
And the joy we share, as we tarry there,
None other has ever known!1


1 IN THE GARDEN, Words and tune, C. Austin Miles, 1912.



0 comments:

Blog Archive

    © Wonderful Storybooks. Friends Forever Template by Emporium Digital 2009

Back to TOP