Jill, Bobby, and Jesus

>> Wednesday, July 3, 2013

My brother, Mark, and me: Confirmation Class of 1963


                                                           Jill’s Story
           
            A history book of the First United Methodist Church of Ft. Payne, Alabama holds this picture shown above with the caption: April 7 (Easter Sunday), 1963 confirmation class: new members received on profession of faith.
I have a confession. When that picture was taken, I (the little one, front row, second from left) had NOT professed faith in Jesus Christ. As a matter of fact, as a first grader, I didn’t even understand what a profession of faith was! I just wanted to join the church with my brother, Mark.
          As I grew older, I repeatedly heard: “If you died today, do you know for sure you would go to heaven?” I didn’t know for sure, and that frightened me.
         One spring in my middle school years, my best friend, Mary, and I went to a Billy Graham film showing at the local DeKalb Theater. When the movie ended, the lights came up and a young man stepped to the front of the theater...

                                                      Bobby’s Story

            Bobby Welch grew up in Fort Payne, Alabama. As a teenager, he taught swimming lessons at the city pool. (I was in his class once and vividly remember him picking me up by my heels and dropping me off the high dive!) 
            Bobby says that he was saved at 16 but strayed away from God while in college and the military. As an Army reconnaissance platoon leader in Vietnam, he was shot by a Viet Cong guerilla; and believed to be dead, he was piled onto a military helicopter among the casualties. While unloading the soldiers, Welch was found alive. 
           After that near death experience, he recommitted his life to Christ; and three years later, the Lord called him to preach the gospel of Jesus Christ. 

                                                Two Stories Collide

One spring afternoon, after a Billy Graham movie, a young preacher named Bobby Welch walked to the front of the theater and told the children something to the effect of: if you’re not sure you're going to heaven; you can be sure today. Come now and ask Jesus to be your Savior and Lord.
I walked to the front of that old theater and professed, by faith, Jesus as my Savior and Lord. At that moment, by God’s love, power, and grace, Jesus forgave me, sealed me by the Holy Spirit, and guaranteed me everlasting life in heaven with Him. I was born again - spiritually!
Since that day, Jesus has never deserted nor forsaken me. He has never failed to help me through and out of my problems; and nothing has or ever will separate me from His love.

How about you? Do you know for certain that you'll go to heaven when you die? You can know today: know Jesus Christ, the Messiah!

“There is salvation in no one else; for there is no other name – but Jesus – that has been given among men by which we must be saved.” (Acts 4:13)

0 comments:

Blog Archive

    © Wonderful Storybooks. Friends Forever Template by Emporium Digital 2009

Back to TOP