Island Adventure

>> Friday, February 8, 2019

Sanibel Island 2015




"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go." (Joshua 1:9)



When superman gave me a trip to Sanibel/Captiva Island for Christmas, I booked a beautiful beach house at North Captiva - the northern end of Captiva Island, right? WRONG! Yesterday, we discovered that North Captiva is a completely separate barrier island accessible only by boat! And we're scheduled to leave tomorrow.

Mousy me cried, "Let's just chunk the really expensive, nonrefundable rental fee and make a reservation on the "real" Captiva."

To which my Robinson-Crusoe husband replied, "No way! We need a boat. We have a boat. We'll just take the ski boat. It'll be great!"

Not fully convinced by any stretch of the imagination, I asked the Lord, "Lord, is crossing 8 miles of open water in a small ski boat driven by someone who has never navigated the open seas a good idea?"

Then I read: "You will be blessed if you obey Me. If you obey what I command you today." (Deuteronomy 11:27) 

Then I read two daily devotionals: 

First,"Never look ahead to the challenges of life in fear. Instead, look at the challenges with full assurance that I will deliver you...Do not look ahead to what may happen tomorrow. I will take care of you tomorrow and everyday. Be at peace. Set aside anxious thoughts and worries...I am your Shepherd on Sunday, on Monday, and through every day of the week." 1 [It really said that!] 

Second, "Do not fear change. I am making you a new creation. New things are on the horizon. When you cling to the old ways and sameness, you resist My work within you...Find your security in Me alone. Don't try to force fit today into yesterday's mold. Ask Me to open your eyes so you can find all I have prepared for you." 2 

So - a bag is packed. The Bayliner is gassed up. Tomorrow we head south in a Chevy pickup pulling a ski boat, and Sunday we cross Pine Island Sound to North Captiva.

Stay tuned, beloved, for daily, adventure updates. If you don't hear from me next week, perhaps there's no internet service. If you never hear from me again, we sank. (smile)

1 STREAMS IN THE DESERT. L.B. Cowman.
2 40 DAYS WITH JESUS. Sarah Young.


0 comments:

Blog Archive

    © Wonderful Storybooks. Friends Forever Template by Emporium Digital 2009

Back to TOP