Remember

>> Friday, July 12, 2019

me
Easter 1963



"These things I remember, and I pour out my soul within me..." (Psalm 42:4)


As I'm writing next year's book set in 1963 Fort Payne, Alabama, I'm constantly texting questions to my two, dear brothers and beloved friend, Mary, asking their help in remembering people, places, and happy events of our childhood. Yesterday, I wrote (with help):

At Sunday School the next morning, Jill sat next to Mary. Mr. Watson had shined her black, patent leather shoes before they left the “neighborhood.” In the front row of the small, wooden chairs, Jill smoothed the full skirt of last spring’s Easter dress—a cantaloupe-colored frock that Mrs. Watson had made on her new, Pfaff sewing machine. Two appliquéd butterflies brightened the square, sailor collar.

Mrs. Shugart plucked the piano keys while Mrs. Crow and Mrs. Cobble led the children singing:

This is my Father’s world
And to my listening ears
All nature sings, and round me rings
The music of the spheres.


In Psalm 42, in a time of distress, King David remembers, with tears, past years when he led the festival procession in joy and thanksgiving. When the king finds himself in a place of discouragement, he remembers the One who is able to help:

"O my God, my soul is in despair within me; therefore, I remember You from the land of Jordan." (Psalm 42:6)

Longing for good ol' yesterdays, beloved? Remember your Father God who gives strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow.

0 comments:

Blog Archive

    © Wonderful Storybooks. Friends Forever Template by Emporium Digital 2009

Back to TOP