Attention, Read All About It: Mr. Greenleaf Kicked Out of School

>> Tuesday, April 21, 2015

"Jacob and Mr. Greenleaf"
illustration from Mr. Greenleaf's Unforgettable Summer
by my friend and talented artist, Dawn Copeland








"Let us test and examine our ways. Let us turn back to the LORD." (Lamentations 3:40)






Today begins my book reading tour for Mr. Greenleaf's Unforgettable Summer. Woo-hoo!! Yesterday, visits to two 3rd grade public school classrooms were unexpectedly cancelled. Mr. Greenleaf and Mrs. Willowkins will tell you the story:





          Do you know that electrified, overjoyed, excited feeling you have when you wake up the morning of your birthday or Christmas Day or the first day of summer vacation? Well, that's precisely how Mr. Greenleaf felt one spring morning when he opened his black peepers and remembered that it was finally the day when Mrs. Willowkins would take him on his first ever elementary school visit!



          The froggy stretched his slim, lime legs, hopped through the tiny crevice to the narrow ledge above Mrs. Willowkins goldfish pond, and croaked,


"My feet want to dance,
My heart wants to sing!
Today, I will hear
A school bell ring!"

         Mrs. Willowkins' voice interrupted the tree-frog serenade. "Mr. Greenleaf, Mr. Greenleaf, where are you?" she called. 

                (Over the months of friendship, Mrs. Willowkins had become quite efficient in speaking Froggish and had learned that her Mr. Green Jeans' - as she once called him - actual given name was Jumping Jehoshaphat  Greenleaf.)

                 Spying the little, tree frog on the rock ledge, she said, "Oh, there you are Mr. Greenleaf. I fear, my dear, that I have some sad news to tell you."

               "Oh my, sad news? Sad new you say? I so dislike sad news. Is cousin Kelly Greenleaf okay? Is she alive and well?" croaked Mr. Greenleaf.

                  "Yes, dear, Kelly is happily hopping and green as ever; however, our greatly anticipated school visit has regrettably reversed to disappointment. I received an email this morning saying we are not allowed to come to public school," she sadly sighed.

                   "Not allowed? But why? Is it my fault? Have I done something bad? Do public schools  dislike little, green tree frogs?" asked Mr. Greenleaf in concern.

                    "No, dear, you've done nothing wrong. Although they didn't say specifically, I suspect we've been banned because our story is Christian in nature; and tragically, Jesus is no longer welcome in most public schools."

                 "Oh, my, my, my, what shall we do, Mrs. Willowkins?" said Mr. Greenleaf.

                  Mrs. Willowkins smiled a cheery smile. "We shall pray, my little friend! Pray for the children. Pray for the teachers. Pray for the schools, and pray for our nation that God will teach us as it says in Psalm 86:11 to once again know His ways and live according to His truth. We must ask Jesus to give us undivided minds that fear the name of the Lord."

                  "Yes, yes, yes! You are so right, Mrs. Willowkins. God  indeed can do all things! Let's pray now!" croaked the frog.

                Mr. Greenleaf closed his little, black peepers and Mrs. Willowkins bowed her head before El Shaddai, Almighty God - the One who is able to change hearts and nations.


Beloved, shall we join them?



           

0 comments:

Blog Archive

    © Wonderful Storybooks. Friends Forever Template by Emporium Digital 2009

Back to TOP