His Rod and His Staff

>> Monday, January 27, 2014

Frozen Road on our farm, 2014


"The Lord is my Shepherd...Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil. For You are with me. Your rod and staff, they comfort me." (Psalm 23:1,4)

         The equipment of a shepherd is normally limited to two instruments: his rod and his staff. The rod is the primary weapon of defense against predators for himself and his sheep. Whereas, the staff serves as a tool in caring for the sheep - to guide or rescue the animals entrusted to him.
         It's a bit melodramatic to say that I'm walking through the valley of the shadow of death; however, I am maneuvering a valley of uncertainty concerning a health issue. This past weekend, I stumbled, allowing those pesky little demons of worry and dread to nip at my heels. Then came my Shepherd!!! 

He wielded His rod:

Stay alert, Jill! Watch out for your great enemy! The devil is prowling around this valley attempting to devour you! Stand firm against him, and be strong in your faith! Remember that Christian sisters all over the world are going through this same kind of trouble. (1 Peter 5:8-9)

He stretched forth His staff:

Jill, do not despair! Believe you will see My goodness in the land of the living! Wait patiently for Me. Be brave and let your heart take courage. Yes, wait for Me. (Psalm 27:13-14)

             O Christian, are you walking through a troubled valley? Stay close to Jesus, your Shepherd. Search His Word for His protective rod and comforting staff. For He will lead you beside peaceful streams and renew your strength. Your great Shepherd will guide you along right paths, which bring honor to His name. Surely His goodness and unfailing love will pursue you all the days of your life, and you will dwell with Him forevermore! (Psalm 23:2-3,6)        

           

0 comments:

Blog Archive

    © Wonderful Storybooks. Friends Forever Template by Emporium Digital 2009

Back to TOP